Tuesday 13 March 2012

Stitching at last


A visit from my brother and his partner has diverted my attention from not being able to stitch for a few days and a wonderful family weekend with big dogs and little boys just totally made up for no crafting. The weather was glorious in a way that only an early spring day can be - lots of time in the garden and the warm sun on my back - bliss!

Yesterday I mostly communed with the wall, resting after some lovely days out last week  - Ely Cathedral, The Needle Museum at Redditch and a day out at the Bullring in Birmingham - all in lovely weather .

I'm looking at producing some 3D pieces over the next week or two, it's so easy to keep producing 2D  wall hangings and to forget what form can bring to my work so I plan to start by making a simple vase shape and see where it takes me. 

I have used the needle-felter to blend some organza's to a cotton pieced base onto a wool batting. I burnt back with the heat gun and placed a design on the top using my lovely dyed velvets. I'm now working out whether to stitch before attaching  the whole piece to some pelmet backing or do it all afterwards. If I'm hand-stitching it could be a bit hard on the hands so maybe a bit of both would be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment